When you're in a hurry to get to work, the last thing you want to happen is to be injured in an auto accident on the way there. Unfortunately, car accidents happen all the time and because they are common, most states require by law insurance on all vehicles that are on the road.
Common causes of car crashes:
- Distracted drivers - this can be emotionally distracted, this can be anything that diverts the driver's attention from the road ahead.
- Drivers driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol are unable to react fast enough to immediate changes in traffic. They are also unable to perceive things at an adequate degree and can be identified by the swerving of their cars. States have implemented strict laws to prosecute reckless drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol. The official charge is called a DUI, which stands for 'driving under the influence' and is a serious crime. It can come with jail time and a large fine. If you ever find yourself in this position, you might need a DUI attorney.
- Driving in an impaired state as a result of drowsiness from lack of sleep or from medical conditions that can cause lapses in consciousness and awareness.
- Texting while driving has proven to be a fatal combination.
- Speeding and reckless driving can up the odds of a fatal car accident.
What to do in the advent of an auto accident
- Get out of the path of danger.
- Check to see if anyone is critically wounded. If there are serious injuries, call 911 (in USA) immediately.
- If everyone is OK you should exchange contact information and insurance information.
- Next thing to do is to call your insurance agency. If you don't already have auto insurance, you're in a very bad position at this point. That's why you should always have car insurance, if you don't have it now, you can look up car insurance quotes online.
- In most cases, the car insurance company will talk you through any subsequent obligations.
If you are the victim of a reckless or irresponsible driver you might want to pursue a personal injury attorney. Or specifically, you may seek an auto accident lawyer, to get the amount you deserve from your insurance claim.
Keeping this in mind, I hope you are able to make the roads safer and to be more prepared in case of an auto accident.